"All that is gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost."
~J.R.R.Tolkien

"It is with the utmost affection for my own children and autistic children everywhere that I share these stories."
~Scott

Saturday, July 3, 2010

A note to my readers

As I mentioned last week, we’re out of town, so there won’t be an update this week. I did have a story I wanted to share with you though. Last week I was cleaning up my desktop, moving files into archive and deleting ones I no longer need. And I happened to have my jump drive plugged in at the time, and I didn’t notice that all of THOSE files were still highlighted – including the file where I keep all my ideas and notes for this comic strip. And as I hit delete, nothing goes away from my desktop, but my jump-drive got completely erased. And if you don’t know, unlike on hard drives, when you delete a file from a jump-drive, it’s gone forever, instantly, with no possibility to “undo” or “restore.” I figure I lost about the next eight months worth of strips (about 32, pretty much completely scripted out, IIRC.) I seriously thought I was going to cry. LOL

So I frantically set about writing down SOMETHING, from as many as I could remember, so I could recreate the file. I think managed to remember about 29 or so, so in the end I guess I only lost 2 or 3, but wow… Lesson learned: MAKE REGULAR BACKUPS OF YOUR IMPORTANT FILES! (I actually HAD a backup of this particular file, but it was at least 6 months old, and only went up to about issue #60 or so and I’d long since posted all of the strips that were in it.)

On an unrelated note… Some of you may have noticed that a certain troll using the handle 于庭 has been regularly leaving comments with links to sites that are a bit *ahem* inappropriate. Since I’d prefer to continue let everyone else comment as they wish, I do not plan to start moderating comments, or limit who can comment. (And THANK YOU for all of your comments, BTW!) So instead I’ll be looking in Google to try and find out how to ban just that one profile from commenting. In the meantime, hopefully he’ll take the hint and just knock it off. I apologize to anyone who followed any of his links and came accross any objectionable content.

Again, I hope everyone has a happy, safe and fun 4th of July, and I'll see you next week!

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

There are several methods.

For instance, there is IP ban or kick ban.