"All that is gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost."
~J.R.R.Tolkien

"It is with the utmost affection for my own children and autistic children everywhere that I share these stories."
~Scott

Saturday, August 15, 2009

On the Spectrum #4 - Conversations Without Words

(click to enlagre)



I was really amazed when this happened. I saw him pick up this 'king-size' Snicker's Bar. It was about as big as his forearm. He rolled it over in his hands for a few seconds, and gave me this sort of sideways glace, that seemed to say, "I wonder..." The he looked up me with this priceless "can I have this?" look, but one that also kind of betrayed the fact that he knew it was bit of a longshot - sort of an "I'll give it a try," kind of effort. And when I shook my head I was fully prepared for the worst, but he put it back and rolled his eyes as if to say, "Yeah, I figred as much, no harm in trying though..."

At the time I was struck by how profoundly normal a moment it was. And there really was rather a lot going on, converstaion-wise (more than I can adequately depict artistically) considering that we didn't say a single word!

www.myspace.com/on_the_spectrum

No comments: